Thursday, August 11, 2016

Dear Niko...

My sweet Niko,

Happy 3rd birthday!  I can't believe that you're already three, and yet i still haven't met you.  I can't believe that we've missed out on three whole years of loving you, learning from you, teaching you, and watching you grow.  For three years I haven't been able to change your diapers or buy you clothes.  For three years I haven't been able to feed you, cuddle you at night when you cry, or soothe you when you get hurt.  For three years you haven't know a mama or a daddy, and for three years we haven't known you.  You are now our oldest, but the one we know the least.  This world is full of injustice and wrongdoings, and my heart breaks.

But Jesus calls us to love the orphans.

So, your 3rd birthday marks the beginning of a new life.  Your 3rd birthday means that we are almost ONE WEEK away from hugging your neck and kissing your face.  Your 3rd birthday means that you get to meet your brother and sister and create bonds that will withstand the test of time.  Your 3rd birthday means that we get to start changing your diapers and buying you clothes.  Your 3rd birthday means that we get to feed you and cuddle you when you cry.  Your 3rd birthday means that we get to teach you how to walk and teach you how to talk (even though I think your little sister will do that for us!).  Your 3rd birthday means we get to show you what a family looks like.  Your 3rd birthday means that there will be ONE LESS orphan, and ONE MORE frazier.

Thank you Lord for this birthday.

And, even though I can't buy you cake and help you blow out candles today,  I did buy you a shoes.  Because, what else is a mama to do when her baby is half way around the globe.  I think you'll like them.

See you soon, little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment