Saturday, August 20, 2016

Pick Up Trip: Day 1


Well, we made it!  We are officially in Sofia, Bulgaria for the night, before we head to Yambol tomorrow afternoon.  After 3 flights, we are all exhausted and confusingly hungry, but safe and so excited to finally be here.










 The kids did great - Ana really took the cake with how flexible she was during this whole adventure in the skies.  Our girl even slept for 4 hours during the flight to Paris, sprawled out on 2 seats (while Ry and I took turns lying on the floor - thank you plane attendant for getting us bulkhead seating at the last minute!).  Also, thank you melatonin.  Everyone seems to love the kids - Ana even got a free macaroon from a store in the Paris airport because she started saying all of the colors that she saw, and the lady just loved her!  It's so fun to see your kids make other people smile.  Jack did fairly well, but you could tell he was battling an internal struggle - he just wanted to nurse, but not nurse, or be walked, but not held.  He took about a hundred 1 hour naps, but we survived.  I think he was ready to be off of planes almost as much as I was.  I am a particularly "nervous flyer", and my anxiety medicine I got for these plane trips did nothing except make me sleepy for an hour or 2 (which, I was already sleepy, so was it really the meds?) so that was a bummer.  There were many times when I held my dad's hand, just as I did when I was little!  I made Ry tell me stories of our honeymoon, and I made dad tell me over and over again how he had experienced the exact same turbulence on different flights, somehow convincing me that this was unbelievably normal.  So, I lived to tell about it, but I am not looking forward to the flights home - I am a huge supporter of teleporting, so somehow please go ahead and develop that.





 Our hotel in Sofia has been great - a representative with a car for us was waiting with a sign that said "Ryan Frazier" at the airport (we felt like moviestars!).  The employees all seem to speak pretty good english here, so that has been nice too - Ry's bulgarian got a little rusty in between trips, so we're scraping by.  Yambol will be a very different experience, I'm sure :)








Ana turned 2 yesterday, so we had a mini birthday celebration when we got to our hotel.  We kept a couple gifts back from her party so that she could open some on her actual birthday.  She loved her gifts, but kept asking for a nemo cake lol (that was her cake at her party).  I think she loved getting to open some presents after such a long couple days.


The kids slept horrible until about 4am Bulgaria time (9pm Louisville time) - Jack was rocked and nursed constantly, and Ana had a sleepover with Gramm and Grandad and kept them up for the middle of the night - but Gramm gave her a bath, some more melatonin, and some Winnie the Pooh and she conked back out eventually.  They are both sleeping soundly now.  Too bad we have to get up and get packed up soon!  These poor kids - I'm just so stinkin proud of them!  Our FNA attendant picks us up at noon today, so my dad is off to go get our van (he got an international driver's license) and we will be headed to Yambol somewhere between 12-1!  It is about a 3 hour drive, so we'll stay the night in Yambol tonight, and go pick up Niko bright and early tomorrow morning :)

Sleep well friends and family.  Thank you for praying for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment